6 Popular Living Room Theme Ideas Trending in 2023
Published on February 17th, 2023 – Author Lenard Arceo
Decorating a room, much less the living room, is no joke. It takes a lot of creativity and time to pull it off, and even then, you can’t guarantee that the result will turn out as well as you’d like. That’s why it’s common for homeowners to have a theme that they would follow while decorating their living room.
This theme will be the basis of most of the ideas for the room. That includes the color palette, shapes, patterns, and furniture arrangement. In other words, the theme will be what determines the results.
As such, it’s only fitting that you spend much time and deliberation choosing a theme. If you don’t have a particular theme in mind, then you might want to consider these six popular living room themes.
1. Asian Theme
As the name implies, the Asian theme aims to create an interior design that looks similar to the typical room in Asian countries. The theme is often characterized by a few pieces of furniture as possible, natural colors like black, ivory, beige, and ochre, and natural materials like wood, stone, and paper.
A few ways to incorporate the Asian theme into your living room include:
- minimizing the number of decors, you have in the room,
- adding scented candles as the aroma is vital to the Asian theme, and
- installing a backdrop featuring natural colors and patterns.
2. Contemporary Theme
The main idea behind the contemporary theme is to embrace the styles and trends that are most popular at the moment. That’s why it constantly evolves with time. For now, though, the theme is distinguished by a rich blend of neutral colors like gray and black and vibrant colors like bright green and orange.
It’s a rather difficult theme to pull off since it’s ever-changing, but here are some tips that might help:
- Try to include open spaces in your area, as the theme is also characterized by openness.
- Add large windows to further emphasize the sense of spaciousness.
- Use various materials to achieve a harmony of different textures and colors.
- Blend neutral colors like black, white, and gray with vibrant colors like blue and orange.
3. Country Theme
The country theme is all about creating a cozy or casual vibe to emanate the feeling that you’re living in the countryside. Its color palette consists of bright and pastel colors like baby blue and lavender, though it’s preferable to simply utilize the natural colors of materials like brick, wood, and stone.
It’s also quite common to incorporate design elements like second-hand furniture and vintage wares and expose structural elements like wood paneling and beams. Here are some tips for pulling off this theme:
- When purchasing furnishings, choose mostly those made of wood.
- Apply natural wood finishes to further underline the color of the natural material.
- Avoid matching all your furnishings. It’s okay to have mismatched pieces as it adds charm and coziness to the room.
- Make sure the living room has a wooden floor.
4. Eccentric Theme
The eccentric theme is one of, if not the most, unique living room styles.
The main idea behind this design style is to showcase your individualism. It aims to highlight what’s unique about you, so the only way to pull this off is to not take suggestions from anyone or anywhere.
You simply need to design your living room the way you would without getting ideas from other people.
5. Industrial Theme
The industrial theme aims to mimic the interior design of industrial structures like warehouses and factories. It often features materials typically used in these settings, like metal, wood, concrete, and brick.
You may also incorporate elements common among industrial structures, like wooden beams, stainless steel, and metal piping. The industrial theme also calls for either concrete or hardwood flooring.
Here are a few tips to help you pull off an industrial-themed living room:
- Choose furniture made of solid wood, steel, iron, or leather.
- Increase your living room’s ceiling height. High ceilings are common in industrial spaces.
- Go for neutral and warm colors, like shades of gray, white, and matte black.
6. Mediterranean Theme
The Mediterranean theme is similar to the Asian theme in that it’s inspired by specific countries, which in this case, are countries surrounding the Mediterranean Sea. That includes Greece, Italy, and Spain.
Similar to the Asian theme, the Mediterranean theme is inspired not just by a single country. It almost always features a fusion of styles from different countries. The theme is characterized by stone and terracotta floors, white (or whitish) walls, floors with patterned tiles, and exposed wood beams.
The following tips should help you create a Mediterranean-themed living room:
- Lean more towards wooden furniture.
- Make sure the walls are as pale as they can be.
- Decorate your ceilings with exposed wood beams.
- Opt for either terracotta or stone floors.
Choose Award Winning Interior Designer Rita Chraibi
Interior designer Rita Chraibi and her team have helped their clients build dream homes and buildings. Their variety of perspectives has helped them advance projects to a new level of beauty and elegance. Contact our team today to request a consultation for your next project.